Ukraine has liberated an area that had been occupied since 2014 as the country launches a barrage of offensive operations amid “chaos” behind enemy lines. Ukraine defence officials confirmed their forces have taken back an area near Krasnohorivka, southwest of Donetsk in the far east of Ukraine following a “well-prepared assault”. The reported victory comes as Ukraine continues to take advantage of the chaos inside Russia caused by Yevgeny’s Prigozhin’s men abandoning their positions to march on to Moscow.
For a few weeks now, Ukrainian forces have been launching counteroffensive operations.
But in recent days, they have “re-set” and “refined” their tactics before undertaking assaults on three main fronts in southern and eastern Ukraine, according to the latest UK Defence Intelligence update.
The update said: “Ukrainian forces are using the experiences of the first two weeks of the counter-offensive to refine tactics for assaulting the deep, well-prepared Russian defences. Ukrainian units are making gradual but steady tactical progress in key areas.”
Valerii Shershen, the Tavria Defense Forces Press Center spokesman said: “Indeed, several positions were seized [last week] near Krasnohorivka as a result of a well-prepared assault.
“There were imitations of actions, and support from artillery and heavy equipment. They also cleared certain areas of mines.”
Yevgeny Prigozhin’s attempted coup yesterday appeared to accelerate the Ukrainian counter-offensive, with a handful of new operations being reported since the warlord declared his uprising on Friday night.
Today, a video has emerged showing Ukrainian artillery destroying a group of Russian military supply trucks in the Zaporizhzhia area.
Meanwhile, explosions and air strikes have been reported in the Donetsk and Luhansk regions, deep inside Russian-occupied territory.
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Defence boss Wagner chief demanded to see ‘goes missing’ hours after peace deal[LATEST]
Exiled Wagner chief ‘could lead attack on Kyiv from Belarus'[INSIGHT]
Putin ‘not in control of nukes’ as they could launch ‘without him knowing'[INSIGHT]
According to Russian authorities, there were at least 10 attacks on Bakhmut between Friday night and Saturday evening, amid Prigozhin’s attempted uprising.
The Russian defence ministry confirmed: “Over the past 24 hours, Ukraine’s armed forces have continued to attempt offensive action.”
Attacks were launched near several villages around the city of Bakhmut where there has been a violent stalemate for months. The Russian attack on Bakhmut has been predominantly spearheaded by Wagner Group mercenaries.
Footage has emerged showing Ukrainian forces taking over a one-kilometre-long line of Russian trenches in the Bakhmut region.
Yesterday, Hanna Miliar, Deputy Minister of Defence of Ukraine said: “The Eastern grouping of troops launched an offensive in several directions at the same time.
“In the direction of Orikhovo-Vasylivka, Bakhmut, Bohdanivka, Yahidne, Klishchiivka, Kurdyumivka. There is progress in all directions.”
The Ukrainian General staff has also reported that Ukraine had made gains in western Zaporizhia, south of Orikhiv.
According to the news agency Ukrinform, Dmytro Kuleba, Ukraine’s foreign minister, said: “Any chaos behind the enemy lines works in our interests.”
Source: Read Full Article