A teenager who tore off a duck's head near a children's playground is at a "very high risk" of reoffending, according to a judge.
The 18-year-old brutally beheaded the duck with his bare hands last year.
He has been diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder, however he was found fit to stand trial.
The now 20-year-old is due to be sentenced on the gruesome charge, reports NZHerald.
The horrific act took place at the Lower Whitby Lake in January last year – a lake which is near a shopping village Porirua, New Zealand.
A number of ducks were gathered when the attack was carried out.
The children's playground, library, Plunket centre and a church all surround the lake at close proximity.
In the gruesome attack, the teen from Porirua trapped a paradise duck in between two large trees.
According to the summary: "The defendant picked up the duck and has wrung its neck with such severity he tore the head from the duck's body," it said.
A member of the public took pictures of the teenager as he stood over the dead duck.
Cops went to house a week after the incident where he admitted he had killed the duck, however did not provide a reason.
Dad tied helpless chicken to a tree so his son, 8, could shoot it with a crossbow
Appearing at Porirua District Court on Thursday he was seen crying in the dock.
In July last year he pleaded guilty to one charge of ill-treating an animal.
The man has been diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder and his mental health has been deteriorating since the incident, according to psychological reports.
Judge Jan Kelly said: "[His] situation is unique to his age with multiple underlying concerns."
He has been granted anonymity due to media presence in court after defence lawyer Michael Hay applied for the court order.
Source: Read Full Article