A teenager has been left blinded after an “horrific” daylight acid attack by a stranger in the street.
Police have now launched a manhunt for the suspect, with a £5,000 reward on offer amid warnings he could “strike again”.
The 19-year-old victim was walking with a friend, 25, in Thornton Heath, south London on December 7.
They were approached by the suspect, a man they did not know, at about 8.10am.
He threw a cup of corrosive liquid over both of them before leaving the scene.
Both victims were taken to hospital, with the 19-year-old now suffering from permanent blindness.
Detectives said the suspect and the motive behind the “unprovoked” attack are not known.
But he had been seen by one victim on September 7, when he called at his address claiming to have a letter for him.
When the victim went to him in the street, the suspect punched him in the face twice with a bicycle chain wrapped around his fist.
Mum who suffocated disabled son in lockdown sentenced to 'indefinite' hospital order
CCTV footage shows him apparently inspecting a letter before throwing punches at the victim, who ran off.
The suspect is described as a white or Asian male, of slim build with a black hooded jacket, dark coloured trousers and shoes or boots.
On both occasions, he wore a light blue medical mask and a dark coloured baseball cap.
The charity Crimestoppers has now launched a reward of up to £5,000 for anonymous information which helps bring him to justice.
Heartwarming moment man is reunited with beloved dog after coming out of coma
Alexa Loukas, the charity’s London regional manager, said: “This horrific incident has left a young man with life-changing injuries, both victims traumatised and has shocked the community of Thornton Heath in Croydon.
“The individual behind the acid attack could strike again, so it’s critical that anyone who knows or has suspicions about who was involved contacts our charity 100% anonymously.
“We need the public’s help to bring those involved to justice and help the victim to recover and the community to feel a dangerous individual is no longer a threat.”
DC Dimitri Savathrakis, of the South Area CID reactive team, added: “This was a violent and unprovoked attack on two innocent victims and we are doing everything in our power to bring the person responsible to justice.
“The victims were left shaken, injured and their lives changed forever as a result of this individuals actions.
“We hope that this new appeal will uncover new information and I urge anyone with information to come forward, 100% anonymously, to Crimestoppers.”
Source: Read Full Article