Granada: CCTV shows destruction of shop as earthquake strikes
It came after the province was hit by a wave of tremors, including three with a magnitude greater than 4. The pre-emergency phase of the Emergency Plan for Seismic Risk was last night declared in Granada. It sees authorities closely monitor the situation.
Andalusia’s 112 emergency services tweeted: “Granada is now in the pre-emergency phase against seismic risk.
“This level is characterised by monitoring and assessing the phenomenon as well as by providing information to authorities and the population.”
The delegate of the Andalusian Government in Granada, Pablo García, declared the pre-emergency phase at 11.30pm on Tuesday.
As well as the three bigger quakes, more than 12 aftershocks were recorded and emergency services received hundreds of calls.
We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.
The 112 service said on Twitter: “Up to three seismic movements with a magnitude greater than 4 on the Richter scale and more than half a dozen lower intensity aftershocks have been recorded in the area of #SantaFe #Atarfe #Chauchina and #CúllarVega.”
President of the region of Andalusia, Juan Manuel Moreno, said aftershocks had also been felt in Malaga.
He said: “Tremors do not stop in the province of Granada and tonight several aftershocks have just occurred, some have also been felt in Malaga.
“I’m very aware of its evolution.
“As usual, @E112Andalucia is available if necessary.”
Mayor of Granada, Luis Salvador, tweeted last night: “Two more earthquakes have just occurred in less than 15 minutes (4.1 and 4.3).
“The earthquake during the weekend that caused so much fear and damage in municipalities in the metropolitan area was 4.4.
“We are in permanent contact with the police and the firefighters.
Indonesia earthquake: Strong 7 magnitude earthquake rocks Ring of Fire [INSIGHT]
California earthquake: Experts hoping to predict the next Big One [ANALYSIS]
Indonesia earthquake: Powerful magnitude 6.2 quake rocks island [VIDEO]
“In addition to the two previous earthquakes, there was a third of similar duration and intensity.
“People are leaving their houses and going outside. Please be careful with objects that could fall to the street.”
Spain’s prime minister Pedro Sánchez called on people to stay calm and follow the advice of the emergency services.
He tweeted: “Several earthquakes shake Granada again tonight.
“I am aware thousands of people are worried.
“It is time to stay calm and follow the indications of the emergency services.
“Let’s hope everything will soon return to normality.”
Andalusia’s emergency services urged people to only listen to official sources amid the panic and confirmed no evictions had been ordered.
The 112 service tweeted: “If you are in the area affected by the Granada earthquakes, remember that you should only listen to official sources. NO evictions have been ordered.”
There has been some damage to buildings but no injuries have been reported.
Granada has been rocked by more than 150 quakes since December.
Additional reporting by Maria Ortega.
Source: Read Full Article