Princess Diana ‘left in tears after hearing butler’s call with Martin Bashir’

Princess Diana reportedly burst into tears after secretly listening in to a phone call her butler was having with Martin Bashir.

The alleged call to Kensington Palace revealed the BBC journalist was looking for information on Princess Diana’s love life and her whereabouts.

In an interview with The Sun on Sunday, the princess’s former butler Paul Burrell claimed Diana was in tears after the phone call showed her that Martin Bashir’s friendship was fake.

Paul took the call as Diana listened in as Bashir did his best to try to get private details from her butler.

Bashir would regularly ring the palace to speak to Paul for information but her former butler claims to have never given information despite numerous attempts by the journalist to win him round.

In the article, Paul said: "Martin was being very ­disrespectful, everything was ‘she’ this and ‘she’ that.

“He was asking where she was and ‘Has she been out with one of her boyfriends again?’ He also spoke as if she was flighty.

"He was complaining she wasn’t taking his calls and wasn’t sharing as much with him as he wanted her to. It was a very uncomfortable moment.

“Diana was looking at me like, ‘Oh my God, is this how he speaks to you about me?’ She was seeing a different side to him and she was shocked, absolutely gobsmacked by his irreverence."

  • Fisherman catches prehistoric 8ft 'dinosaur fish' with razor-sharp teeth

Following the phone conversation, Paul claims Diana burst into tears and fled the room after seeing Bashir in a different light.

Paul, who was Diana’s butler from 1987 to 1997, said Bashir secured his famous Panorama interview with Diana by exploiting her generosity.

Earlier this month, both Prince Harry and Prince William have issued uncharacteristically scathing public statements in response to an inquiry into their mother's notorious 1995 interview with the BBC.

A report by Lord Dyson found the broadcaster covered up "deceitful behaviour" used by Bashir to secure the interview, and "fell short of high standards of integrity and transparency".

The journalist was in "serious breach" of the BBC's producer guidelines when he faked bank statements and showed them to Earl Spencer to gain access to the princess in 1995, the inquiry found.

In response both of Diana's sons have made public statements expressing anger at the "culture of exploitation… [that] ultimately took her life".

Get latest news headlines delivered free

Want all the latest shocking news and views from all over the world straight into your inbox?

We've got the best royal scoops, crime dramas and breaking stories – all delivered in that Daily Star style you love.

Our great newsletters will give you all you need to know, from hard news to that bit of glamour you need every day. They'll drop straight into your inbox and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.

You can sign up here – you won't regret it…

William called for the documentary never to be aired again and said the BBC's failings had not only let his mother and family down but the public as well.

The BBC has written to the royal family to apologise for the circumstances surrounding the interview – in which Diana said: "Well, there were three of us in this marriage, so it was a bit crowded", a reference to Camilla Parker Bowles – who Charles later married.

A representative for Bashir been contacted for comment.

Source: Read Full Article