Miss Turkey beat herself up court rules as boyfriend she accused walks free

The ex-boyfriend of a Miss Turkey beauty queen, accused of a violent sex attack, is free after a court ruled she beat herself up.

Dilara Kursun, 25, told police that Tayfun Kilic, 28, drove her to some woods and ripped her clothes off before beating and sexually assaulting her after they broke up.

Kilic was facing 20 years in prison if found guilty for the attack on June 16 last year.

However, he's been acquitted after a court concluded she had ripped her own clothes and hurt herself to blame him.

He insisted at the trial that he'd not “harmed a hair on her head”.

Kursun broke up with Kilic in May last year. He reportedly spent weeks attempting to win her back.

She claimed that he'd asked to meet her one last time in June on what would have been their anniversary, and that when she refused to get back with him he turned violent.

Kursun – a contestant in the 2016 Miss Turkey pageant- told police that Kilic forced her into his car before driving her to a forest to commit the assault.

He was charged with qualified sexual assault, insult and threat, but remained steadfast in his denial of the accusations.

Those accusations fell apart in court and he was acquitted of all charges.

It was deemed there was insufficient evidence to prosecute him.

Kilic said at the trial: "Since it was our anniversary the next day (June 16), I drove her to her parents' house so she could get ready, and I picked her up in the evening.

"For our anniversary celebration the next day (June 16), I had reserved a special table at a beach in Kilyos, made preparations and set out to pick up the complainant from her house.

"When I arrived, I called the complainant downstairs, she got into the car and we went together to the place in Kilyos.

"There was a table on the beach. We sat and chatted for a while. Maybe we had a glass of alcohol. We had fights during our relationship, but we always got back together."

The defendant continued: "Then the complainant got up from the table, took the car key, got in my car and left.

"I waited for 40 minutes and then I started walking.

"About an hour later, she came and picked me up by car. When we got to my house, she parked the car, called a taxi and wanted to leave.

"I did not want her to leave, I was insisting that she did not go.

"We had problems, I wanted to solve them. My fault was that I insisted that she did not go, I told her not to call the police, but she did.

"The police came, and we went to the police station. Our messaging continued even inside the police station, but it didn't help, she was determined to report me."

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

Asked whether he tore her clothes and sexually assaulted, he said: "It is out of the question that I tore the complainant's blouse, I did not engage in any sexual acts against her.

"She made all the injuries on her body herself."

If you or somebody you know has been affected by this story, contact Victim Support for free, confidential advice on 08 08 16 89 111 or visit their website, www.victimsupport.org.uk.

Source: Read Full Article