Jealous thug who stabbed lottery winner girlfriend in face gets more jail time

A man who was jailed for knifing his Lottery-winning partner in the face seven times has had his prison sentence increased to more than 20 years.

Stephen Gibbs, 45, was jailed for 13 years with an extended licence period of five years after he attacked Emma Brown at the home they shared in Lakeside, Barry, Wales, on January 30 last year.

Gibbs had become increasingly paranoid and controlling of his “outgoing” partner of 12 years as their relationship had deteriorated due to her lottery win.

Ms Brown won a multimillion-pound sum on the National Lottery in 2017 which “tipped the balance” of their relationship, according to her victim impact statement.

After the attack, it was also discovered Gibbs had fitted a tracking device to her car.

Gibbs became increasingly paranoid that she was having an affair with a male school friend and when he confronted her that day, she told him she wanted to end their relationship.

In response, he assaulted her and broke her shoulder. He then paused the attack to leave the room to get the kitchen knife, after which he returned and stabbed her a number of times.

The original sentence has now been found “unduly lenient” due to the judge wrongly categorising the harm caused by the offence, the Court of Appeal hearing in Cardiff Crown Court heard on Thursday.

Attorney General Suella Braverman QC said the offence had fallen into a higher category of harm due to the “serious physical and psychological” harm caused to the victim.

For more incredible stories from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up for one of our newsletters here.

She said: “The offender stabbed the victim seven times in the face and broke her shoulder. He used an 8-9in kitchen knife, and even he believed he may have killed the victim afterwards.

“The judge should have reasonably concluded the harm was serious.”

Ms Braverman said the sentence needed to take account of the aggravating factors in the case, including Gibbs being drunk, the fact he paused the attack to go and arm himself with a knife, that he walked past Ms Brown’s body and drove away without calling an ambulance, and that he has a previous conviction for a similar offence.

Gibbs has now been sentenced to 20 years and seven months in prison with an extended licence period of five years. He will have to serve two-thirds of the custodial sentence before being considered for parole.

In 2005, Gibbs was sentenced to six years in prison and four years on licence for stabbing his former partner’s 11-year-old son six times with an 8in kitchen knife.

If you have been affected by issues of domestic violence or coercive control you can call Refuge's 24-Hour National Domestic Abuse Helpline for free. The number is 0808 2000 247.

Source: Read Full Article