Inside disgusting Chinese takeaway with raw chicken and grease-covered floor

Get quick and easy recipes straight to your inbox

Disgusting conditions inside a horror Chinese takeaway have been unearthed, from 'raw chicken' being served to a floor being slippery as it was covered in grease.

The owner of the restaurant has been ordered to pay just under £9000 after a safety inspection unveiled stomach-churning discoveries.

48-year-old Kai Kuang Chiam, owner of Asian Bowls in Saltash, Cornwall, pleaded guilty to nine offences and was fined £1,504, ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £150 and court costs of £7,000.

During the court case, he claimed in mitigation that he ran the front of the house while the head chef was responsible for the squalid kitchen.

However, he admitted responsibility as the head chef had left before any investigation had been launched.

The investigation started after a complaint was made to Cornwall Council's Environmental Health Team regarding an undercooked Chicken Pot Sticker (a dumpling).

An unannounced visit from authorities on October 22, 2020, revealed that the dumpling contained raw chicken, reports Plymouth Live.

A multitude of other food safety breaches were also discovered, including a 'substantial amount of grease and dirt', a floor encrusted with grease that had become dangerously slippery, as well as filth dropping into open food in fridges.

In addition, high-risk foods were not being kept at the required temperature and staff were not wearing suitable protective clothing.

Inspectors deemed the restaurant an imminent risk to health, leading to Chiam voluntarily closing the business and disposing of all food.

Two days later it reopened again following a substantial clean. A hygiene improvement notice was subsequently issued on November 17, with the business ordered to comply by December 20.

Another visit in January 2021 found that, despite improvements, there was no food safety management system in place, which contravened the hygiene improvement notice.

By June, and after some substantial improvements, food safety officers deemed the establishment no longer a risk.

After the first inspection, Chiam had taken control of the kitchen and ensured that it was suitably cleaned so he could reopen it the next day.

He and his wife both obtained food hygiene qualifications and he still works in the kitchen now to ensure the necessary standards are maintained.

Martyn Alvey, portfolio holder for Public Protection at Cornwall Council, said after Chiam's court case was concluded: "It is clear that this business failed to meet the standards required to keep customers safe.

"I am pleased to see that the owner has addressed the issues raised and is working with our Environmental Health officers.

"I hope this case serves as a warning to others. We will not hesitate to take action against businesses that put customers’ health at risk."

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

  • Food
  • Courts

Source: Read Full Article