Heartbroken family torn apart as 17-month-old toddler dies after eating battery

A heartbroken family has revealed their 17-month-old toddler has died after swallowing a battery.

Medics battled to save tragic Reese Hamsmith but she tragically passed away in the town of Lubbock in the US state of Texas.

Local news station KIR07 reports the youngster swallowed the battery last week.

It was announced by her family that she died on Thursday at the Texas Children's Hospital in Houston.

It is reported that she suffered burns to her throat, oesophagus and vocal cords.

Reese's mother Trista Hammond wrote on Facebook after leaving the hospital: "We were a family member short."

She added: "It's a heartbreak I will never be able to express.

"I will never forget looking out that window on the plane knowing my baby wasn't with me."

Trista said her daughter will be remembered as a "spunky, outgoing and sassy 17-month-old."

The distraught mother continued: "She is pain-free at home with our Savior.

  • Heavy flooding causes huge landslide at Eden Project as major incident declared

"She is most likely bossing everyone around up there."

Trista said her child started feeling ill, before realising their remote control was missing a small battery and fearing she had swallowed it.

She then began showing symptoms of battery burns, including vomiting, fever, abdominal pain and difficulty breathing or swallowing.

A GoFundMe page was set up to cover the Hamsmith family's medical and funeral expenses, television station KAMC reported.

As of Friday, December 18, more than $34,000 (£25,000) has been pledged to help the family with the costs.

You can donate by clicking here.

Source: Read Full Article