Harry risks rift with Charles saying he expressed concerns over Saudi donor

Prince Harry has risked another royal rift with Prince Charles after claiming he 'expressed concerns' over the Saudi billionaire involved in an alleged cash for honours scandal.

In an extraordinary statement over the weekend, Harry said he "severed ties" with Mahfouz Marei Mubarak bin Mahfouz a year before he was given a CBE by Charles in 2016.

The Duke of Sussex added that he "expressed his concerns" about the donor's "motives", and dubbed the debacle the "CBE scandal".

The comments came after it was revealed Harry had held a private meeting with Mahfouz, who has given tens of thousands of pounds to charities associated with Harry.

Charles has been criticised for his relationship with Mahfouz in recent months, with the billionaire having donated hundreds of thousands of pounds to Charles' charities.

It is thought that he donated roughly £1.5 million to royal charities in total with the hope of gaining an honour and British citizenship.

Michael Fawcett, Charles' senior aide, was found by an independent investigation to have colluded with Mahfouz's representatives before he was put on the honours list.

  • Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's 'turning point' when Queen left them feeling 'erased'

Fawcett also resigned as head of The Prince's Foundation last month over his links to Mahfouz. The Metropolitan Police have made inquiries into Fawcett but are yet to launch a full investigation.

Mahfouz also had private meetings with Charles in Scotland and Saudi Arabia.

Prince Harry's latest statement doesn't specify with whom he shared his "concerns" with, but claims that he cut ties with the billionaire in 2015.

In 2016, Mahfouz received an honorary CBE in a private ceremony at Buckingham Palace.

  • Prince William's 'secret' song sends him back to touching car ride with Diana and Harry

On Saturday, Clarence House again claimed that Charles had "no knowledge" of the "cash for access" allegations. It did not say whether Harry had raised the concerns with Charles.

Royal commentator Peter Hunt told the Daily Mail: "Prince Charles presented Mr Mahfouz with his CBE in 2016. Did Prince Harry tell him about his concerns in 2015?

"Just one of the many questions the Metropolitan Police could ask father and son if they choose to investigate."

  • Prince Harry hit with backlash for 'jumping on bandwagon' over latest Covid lecture

The Sunday Times reported this weekend that Harry first met Mahfouz in a London pub in 2013, where they discussed the duke's charity Sentebale.

They met again the following year at Clarence House, by which time Charles had also been introduced to the billionaire.

According to The Sunday Times, Harry joked then: "Has father beaten me to it and got the money?"

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

Source: Read Full Article