Gran left with horrific 3rd-degree burns after spilling KFC lava-like gravy

A gran has hit out at a well-known fast food restaurant after she suffered third degree burns from a "lava-like" gravy.

Kay Sherman, 60, was left with burns to her hand after ordering food from KFC where she blasted the company for serving the sauce too hot.

Kay said the injury happened when she picked up a piece of chicken from a bargain bucket and the hot liquid spilt onto her hand.

The employment advisor, who was celebrating her 60th birthday with her great-grandkids, said that when she wiped off the "above boiling" gravy it peeled away a layer of her skin.

The frightening incident took place on August 7 when Kay and her family ordered around £70 worth of food from KFC for delivery.

A delivery driver arrived at the property in Pitsea, Essex at lunchtime in around 15 minutes however things quickly took a turn for the worse.

Kay recalled: "I had a bucket balanced with my little finger in my lap and the gravy in my other hand.

"I was focused on the piece of chicken I was trying to pick up.

"I put my hand into the bucket to get the piece of chicken I wanted and the gravy suddenly felt like lava hitting my hand.

"It felt like slow-motion. I had a stinging pain in my arm.

  • Harry and Meghan accused of 'jumping on bandwagon' with 'patronising' letter

"The gravy literally stuck to my skin. I span in my computer chair and grabbed a KFC serviette to wipe it and my skin came off with it.

"I put the bucket on the floor and ran outside. I was in shock for the whole thing. I just didn't expect it."

Kay used a garden hose on her wound before wrapping it in clingfilm and a tea towel and plunging it into a bucket of ice.

Her son-in-law then rushed her to a medical centre eight-miles away where medics dressed her wound.

Two weeks after the ordeal, Kay doesn't know how the gravy spilt but maintains that KFC served it too hot.

  • Enormous great white sharks up to 18ft long tear chunks out of whale as tourists watch

"We all know takeaway food is going to be hot, I'm not silly I'm aware of that. But to have a third-degree burn that's got to be too hot."

"KFC shouldn't be sending it to a family with kids.

"I wasn't even angry about it. I was so pleased it was me and not one of the little ones, for them to suffer what I have would have been awful."

Kay continues to change the dressing on her burn which still causes her pain and says she has numbness in her hand.

A spokesman for KFC said: "Safety is our top priority for our guests, so we're really sorry to hear about this and we're in touch with Kay to fully understand how this happened and help make it right."

To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

Source: Read Full Article