A massive poisonous cane toad dubbed 'Toadzilla' has been found under a family's trampoline forcing them to hide their pet dog inside.
Claudee Rowe described the toad as the size of a "serving plate" and does not need telling how dangerous it is after her previous dog died by licking one.
Since losing her beloved Pomeranian to one of the pests, Claudee will keep her Maltese pooch out of their back garden in Virginia, Darwin, Australia until the toxic toad has moved on.
She said the family's new unwanted guest is the result of recent wet weather in the Top End region of Australia's Northern Territory forcing more and more cane toads into the gardens of unsuspecting homeowners, the MailOnline reports.
Claudee told NT News: "It was the fattest thing I've ever seen, it was huge. I'd say it's a serving plate size.
"Being the wet season, there are pools of water around where they can breed more freely. Obviously, they breed in all the gardens we have."
Dogs typically want to play with toads because they see them as toys, she explained.
"We've got a Maltese now and keep it inside at all times because we don't want to go through that again."
The creatures ordinarily venture out into gardens at night but Ms Rowe was checking under the trampoline during daylight when she spotted the intruder using it for shade and shelter.
Homeowners living in northern Australia in Queensland, the Northern Territory and Western Australia where cane toads can be found, are encouraged to get rid of any puddles in their garden and keep pet food inside.
Source: Read Full Article