Furious hen party camp in airport after easyJet flight delayed by 17 hours

A hen party were forced to camp in a Portugal airport in a 'horrendous' 17-hour experience after their return easyJet flight was delayed.

The group, which included a number of teachers, who failed to make it back to school on Monday (June 6), underwent a series of delays after they were due to fly to Bristol airport from Faro on Sunday.

Party member, Ffion Williams, described how the party underwent a series of delays after they were due to fly at 10.10pm on the Sunday, but didn't make it onto a flight until 2.30pm the next day.

The 32-year-old said that during this delay a number of the party had no choice but to camp on the airport floor and to heap on the misery the shops were closed leaving the hens without food and drink until 6.30am.

Ffion said they were initially told the flight would be delayed by an hour but, after checking in, the flight home was further delayed.

"When the gate opened ready for us to get on to the flight, there was an announcement made over the tannoy saying they had overfilled our flight, asking if there was anyone who could stay in Faro and not get on the flight because there were eight people too many to get on the flight," she said.

"Obviously everyone ran to get into a queue because nobody wanted to stay in the airport."

To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

The situation took another turn when the passengers were told the pilot and air hostesses had been flying for their 12 hours and the flight would now be cancelled, and to expect an update by noon on Monday.

She said with no staff to ask what to do and easyJet's app crashing, they had to just wait on the airport floor until 1.30pm on Monday.

Even leaflets shared out to passengers, urging them to call the budget airline for advice, drew a blank as the phone lines were down because of the bank holiday weekend.

She claimed no hotel was offered overnight to give the hens – aged early 20s to late 50s – somewhere comfortable to stay.

EasyJet, who have apologised for the experience, said that it reimburses accommodation expenses and are looking into why some customers were incorrectly informed and remained in the airport at Faro.

During their time at the airport, Ffion said there was little opportunity for the pals to get food or water until the morning, adding that the shops closed at around 10.30pm shortly after they arrived.

However, she claimed with no easyJet staff in sight, no food vouchers, water or blankets were offered, which led to a very uncomfortable night with little sleep for the already-exhausted group.

Ffion said: "It was horrendous. We were literally left on the airport floor for the night.

"We had been pretty much awake for a full 39 hours by the time we got home.

"One of our girls is a diet-controlled diabetic and she was unwell because she had no food for so long.

"We had to get her sweets when the shops opened as she had a mini hypo."

She added: "The majority of the girls are school teachers and they all had school yesterday which none of them made as we were all in Faro.

"The majority of us also have children back home who we didn't plan for an extra night of us not being around."

By 1.30pm on Monday, Ffion said she and the other hens were relieved to finally be seated on the plane.

However, in one final twist, there was yet another delay according to Ffion, who claimed passengers had to wait for an hour on the plane before it finally took off at 2.30pm.

She also claimed that the flight had been overbooked again and around six passengers had to stay in Faro.

Source: Read Full Article