A mum-of-four is at loggerheads with her neighbour who had an ugly "eyesore" 19ft shipping container craned into his small back garden after he said he was getting a conservatory.
The monstrosity is just feet away from her living room doors and a makeshift chimney sends 'toxic' smoke billowing into her home, meaning she can't open her windows, she said.
The mum, who does not wish to be identified, said she has complained around six times to Hull City Council, but claims they're "not interested."
The council said they've tried to contact the other neighbour, but he won't respond, Hull Live reports.
She said many of the neighbours, on the Bransholme row of houses where she lives, are equally fed up.
The mum said: "The council is just not interested. I don't know if it's because I'm from Bransholme and they think it doesn't matter. I'm sure they wouldn't let someone get away with this in Swanland."
"I should not have to live like this. When he lights the chimney he burns wood pallets and my living room fills up with toxic smoke that gets on your chest, even when my windows are closed. I am constantly having to wash my curtains as they stink of smoke."
The mum-of-four, who lives with two of her children, said they cannot open their windows because of the fumes and she even keeps the curtains drawn because she can't bear to look at it.
The container appeared 18 months ago after the neighbour had a crane lift it over the rooftops.
She added: "He told me he was getting a conservatory, and then that appeared, and I said 'well that's not a conservatory, is it?'
"He took our fence down to get it in and when he put it back up, weeks later, he took about an extra foot-and-a-half from my garden.
"It blocks out my light and he's forever climbing on top of it so I have to keep the curtains shut so he can't look in. He also stores wood and metal on top, which is not strapped down, and I have kids and animals that use the garden, so it's not safe," she added.
To keep up to date with all the latest news stories, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.
She claimed the council had been contacted multiple times over that period and is still waiting for any action to be taken against the man who owns the property.
However, the council has today insisted they're trying to help the tenant.
In a statement, a spokesman for Hull City Council said: "Following a service request from the resident in July 2020, investigations were undertaken regarding the smoke and also planning controls relating to the container.
"Upon confirming the results in October 2020, the council made several attempts to contact the resident, however calls and letters were unanswered.
"The most recent service request last week is awaiting further information from the resident.
"Although further attempts will be made to obtain the information we need, our ability to respond to requests for service is very dependent on a good level of communication from all involved."
Source: Read Full Article