Family of girl dropped on head in playground say shell never be the same

Don’t miss a thing! Sign up to the Daily Star’s newsletter

We have more newsletters

A 13-year-old schoolgirl who was allegedly lifted by a fellow people and dropped head first onto the ground "will never be the same again," according to her heartbroken parents.

Neeka Atkinson suffered a life-threatening brain injury when she was "dropped on her head" at school.

She was allegedly approached by a boy in the playground at Hull's Archbishop Sentamu Academy who it is claimed, picked her up by her neck and dropped her headfirst onto concrete on July 8.

READ MORE: WHO says world-wide monkeypox outbreak is now a global emergency

Big sister Alisha Atkinson gave an update saying Neeka is now in rehabilitation and making good progress.

However she also issued a stark reminder that her life will never go back to what it was because her injuries are far more than just physical, as she has also mentally endured something that "no person should ever have to go through", reports HullLive.

The incident left Neeka paralysed on her left side.

The student will continue to travel to Leeds to see specialist doctors but for now she can go home on a part-time basis.

Neeka has been left with a large scar and is still struggling to use the left side of her body but has now taken her first steps.

"She was in a coma fighting for her life only two weeks ago and she has not just physically but mentally endured something that no person, never mind a young girl, should ever have to go through," her sister said.

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

The people of Hull and beyond have rallied together to raise £11,612 so far to fund her full recovery and any equipment and travel fees.

Family friend Barbie Taylor has encouraged people to mark today (July 23) as "Neeka's Day" and wear blue, the colour to represent brain injury, in solidarity.

A teenage boy was arrested by Humberside Police and later released in connection with the incident which caused Neeka's injuries.

On Friday, under police advice, Archbishop Sentamu Academy was closed early after a protest by students against bullying.

It came after a damning Ofsted report revealed serious concerns about the behaviour of pupils at the school where one in five children have been suspended this year.


  • Massive eight-foot great white shark discovered washed up dead on beach by stunned cops
  • Alton Towers guests forced to climb down 65ft rollercoaster after 11-minute stoppage
  • Horror moment escaped monkey savages Ukraine war refugee, 2, causing 'severe wounds'
  • Ultra-deadly pool discovered at bottom of ocean kills anything that swims into it
  • 'I took my 4-year-old hunting – trolls say I'm raising murderer but I'm a good mum'
  • Family

Source: Read Full Article