A "distressed" dog died after being left inside a car in scorching 30C as the owner was charged with animal cruelty.
The five-year-old Rottweiler died after a member of the public called police upon seeing the pooch in a vehicle parked on a driveway in Sydney, Australia.
Officers found the Toyota sedan with the engine still running and spoke to the animal's 49-year-old owner.
The man has been charged with committing an act of aggravated cruelty on an animal and will appear at Bankstown Local Court on January 14.
Police have reminded drivers that it is never fine to leave children, the elderly or pets unattended in a car – even with the air conditioning running.
Charities warn dog owners never to leave their pets alone in a vehicle for any period of time, even with the windows partially open.
The Humane Society of the United States says: "Never leave your pet unattended in a parked car for any period of time.
"On a warm day, the temperature in a car can exceed 120 (48C) – even with the windows partially open. Your pet can quickly suffer brain damage or die from heatstroke or suffocation."
Stray dog praised as 'star student' for 'attending' maths lecture at university
People are advised to take their pets to a vet immediately if they are worried they have been exposed to high temperatures.
The RSPCA also warned that "dogs die in hot cars", asking people to call 999 if they see a dog in distress in a hot car.
It added: "Many people still believe it's ok to leave a dog in a car on a warm day if the windows are left open or they're parked in the shade, but the truth is, it's still a very dangerous situation for the dog.
"A car can become as hot as an oven very quickly, even when it doesn't feel that warm. When it's 22 degrees, in a car it can reach an unbearable 47 degrees within the hour."
Source: Read Full Article