Pressing the detonator to blow up an old Donald Trump casino is a prize now up for grabs in an auction.
Members of the public can bid to push the button that will demolish the former Trump Plaza casino in Atlantic City, which is scheduled to be bulldozed next month.
Entrants have until the day Trump steps down as president of America on January 19 to land the explosive opportunity.
The city's mayor launching the auction hopes it will raise over $1 million for the Boys & Girls Club of Atlantic City.
Mayor Marty Small said: "Some of Atlantic City’s iconic moments happened there, but on his way out, Donald Trump openly mocked Atlantic City, saying he made a lot of money and then got out.
"I wanted to use the demolition of this place to raise money for charity.”
Donald Trump's casino opened in 1984 on a perfect spot for footfall at the centre of Atlantic City’s Boardwalk, and hosted major boxing matches which the former real estate developer attended.
Doors closed on the venue for good after 30 years of business in 2014, the same year three other casinos shut. In 2016, Trump's casino the Taj Mahal also closed before reopening as the Hard Rock casino.
Trump had previously sold his third casino in Atlantic City, the Trump Marina to Texas billionaire Tilman Fertitta in 2011 who renamed it the Golden Nugget.
Demolition work has already started on the once thriving entertainment venue but what remains will be saved for the highest bidder to raze to the ground on January 29.
The city must now decide what to do with the space left behind following the demolition.
Small said: “Not often does inner-city oceanfront land open up. We have one chance to get this right.”
Source: Read Full Article