We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.
Mr Modi has vowed the deaths of 20 Indian troops “will not be in vain” while China has sought to downplay the number of casualties it suffered and has so far refused to reveal details. Following Monday’s meeting between Chinese and Indian officials, an editor of the Global Times in China has issued a grave warning to India.
Hu Xijin, who is editor-in-chief of the Chinese and English editions of the paper, said the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) stand ready to hit India if they don’t back down.
Mr Hu said: “New Delhi has loud voices, but needs to restrain actions.
“As far as I know, China is seriously committed to calming down the situation and is at the same time preparing for the worst.
“Don’t mess with PLA otherwise they will teach you a heavier lesson.”
The Global Times often acts as a mouthpiece for China’s Communist Government.
Last week Mr Hu said China had “suffered casualties” in the clash.
The fight broke out near the disputed Himalayan border in the Ladakh region.
Both sides faced off with nail-studded clubs and sticks.
Tensions continue to run high following the fight and many Indians are calling for a boycott of Chinese goods.
On Wednesday it emerged that goods coming from China are being held up at Indian ports.
Though no government notice has been issued, customs officers at major Indian ports have held back containers, seeking additional clearances, government and industry sources have said.
China chaos: Indian politician breaks cover over Beijing power-grab [INSIGHT]
Modi to face opposition after the death of 20 Indian soldiers [ANALYSIS]
World holds breath: India war panic as expert issues warning [WARNING]
The goods on hold included products from Apple, Dell and Cisco.
The US-India Strategic Partnership Forum (USISPF), a lobby group representing American firms, told India’s commerce ministry in a letter dated June 23 that lack of clarity and delays could disrupt business and manufacturing operations.
USISPF said in the letter: “Authorities have abruptly halted the clearance of industry consignments coming in from China (and perhaps other destinations) at most major ports and airports.
“This will send a chilling signal to foreign investors who look for predictability and transparency.”
The commerce ministry did not respond to a request for comment.
Two industry sources confirmed that Apple, Cisco, Dell and Ford Motor Co products were among those held up.
Electronics components of Taiwan’s Foxconn, a contract manufacturer for Apple in India, were also affected, a third source said.
It was not immediately clear which ports were holding back the goods.
The delays come as India is restarting factory operations after a nationwide lockdown to tackle the COVID-19 pandemic.
Source: Read Full Article