Brit dad charged for not wearing mask in Singapore put in mental health facility

A British dad who was secretly filmed on a train without a facemask and charged in Singapore has been remanded in a mental health facility after the first day of his trial.

Benjamin Glynn, 39, from Yorkshire, was remanded to the Institute of Mental Health (IMH) during the hearing, Channel News Asia reports.

The father-of-two had been detained in Singapore in June after a video appeared on Facebook of him on board a train without a facemask.

The prosecution noted that Mr Glynn's family and friends said they had seen "marked" changes in his behaviour, Yorkshire Live reports.

Mr Glynn is currently facing four charges – including failure to wear a mask without "reasonable" excuse, using threatening words towards a public servant and public nuisance.

The British dad has labelled the proceedings "preposterous" and "disgusting".

Mr Glynn insisted that he would not plead either guilty or not guilty and instead called the whole thing "nonsense", CNA said.

Never want to miss a story like this? You can get all of Daily Star's articles sent directly to your inbox! Sign up in seconds here!

In the proceedings, Deputy Public Prosecutor Timotheus Koh said the prosecution would make an application to have Mr Glynn undergo an assessment at the IMH.

"Prosecution has received a letter from the accused's family and friends or persons purporting to be his family and friends and in this letter, the persons report a marked change of behaviour in the accused's person that was noticeable especially after the COVID restrictions set in," he said.

  • Fish 'with human teeth' terrifies beachgoers as fisherman on pier reels in toothy beast

Mr Glynn reportedly interrupted Mr Koh several times to specify that his mind is “very sound”.

The father also described himself as “enlightened” and noted that he researched “everything”.

Mr Glynn demanded to be released and able to return to the UK with his family.

The judge then made the decision for Mr Glynn to be remanded at IMH for a period of two weeks.

  • Police release e-fit of suspect after girl, 15, raped in sea off Bournemouth beach

He said that Mr Glynn will return to court on August 19.

Mr Glynn described the decision as an “absolutely outrageous injustice”.

The father-of-two previously told Daily Mail: "It's a horrible situation to be in when I don't know when I can next see my family,' he said previously.

"Especially when I don't even believe masks stop the spread of the virus in the first place.

  • Ambulance rushing to hospital 'crashes into bus stop' killing woman in her 40s

"I honestly believe it's a hoax – I don't feel there is any evidence to show mask-wearing is effective in any way.

"From a scientific basis, I think it's nonsense, but now all I can do is wait."

Source: Read Full Article