Brains behind £26m robbery died penniless after being ‘cheated’ out of share

The 'draftsman' behind the 'crime of the century', the Brink's-Mat Bullion robbery, died penniless after being 'cheated' out of his share.

Brian "The colonel" Robinson didn't see a penny of the millions stolen on Heathrow's perimeter in 1983, it's reported.

The heist, which saw 6,800 gold ingots, diamonds and cash stolen, would be worth £100million today.

The notorious theft changed the face of the underworld in Britain and lead to eight murders and a global hunt for the treasure.

The 78-year-old criminal mastermind is said to have died on his birthday, February 28, in a nursing home in Kidbrooke in south east London, following a long illness.

Robison recruited his brother-in-law Anthony (Tony) Black, a warehouse guard, who later ratted them out to police.

Other members of the team included associate Michael McAvoy and three others, who raided the warehouse at Heathrow Airport.

The property belonged to security company Brink's Mat, and the robbers knew there was £3million in cash inside a vault.

Black told them about the cash and even opened the door of the warehouse to let them in.

The gang then tied up the guards and poured petrol over them, threatening to light it if they didn't obey their orders and comply.

Black informed officers about Robinson's involvement in the robbery which led to him being jailed for 25 years, alongside McAvoy.

It's believed that as many as 20 people which could have been connected to the heist have been killed.

Britain's criminal underworld is said to have turned on itself as the gold became the centre of a treasure hunt.

Get latest news headlines delivered free

Want all the latest shocking news and views from all over the world straight into your inbox?

We've got the best royal scoops, crime dramas and breaking stories – all delivered in that Daily Star style you love.

Our great newsletters will give you all you need to know, from hard news to that bit of glamour you need every day. They'll drop straight into your inbox and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.

You can sign up here – you won't regret it…

An associate told The Sun: "Robbo didn’t get a tanner when he got out. He was f***** over by people he trusted.” Most of the gold has never been found.

"Robinson took the secrets of the robbery to his grave, ­dying in a nursing home at ­Kidbrooke, South East London, on February 28 — his birthday — after a long illness."

Robinson, nicknamed The Colonel for his style and organisational skills died penniless as a result, it's claimed.

It's believed his funeral has been delayed until April 12 to hold a wake for him on licensed premises.

Source: Read Full Article