Euro 2020: Insider discusses capacity at Wembley games
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel and a string of bitter politicians slammed Britain for being “irresponsible” in allowing 40,000 fans into Wembley to watch the Three Lions hammer Germany in a 2-0 thriller which sent the German’s packing out of Euro 2020 on Tuesday evening. In a brutal attack, the Germans lambasted Britain’s approach to coronavirus accusing the country as being “brazen” and “reckless” during the pandemic. But England fans gathered on Twitter to express their dismay at the comments made by the losing side.
German interior minister Horst Seehofer said: “I think it is irresponsible for tens of thousands of people to congregate in a small area in countries that are considered to be virus variant areas of the highly contagious delta [variant].
He suggested how a capacity of 20%, which is in practice in Munich for Euro games, was a more appropriate measure.
The German assumed this as “a benchmark that could also apply to the other venues.”
And in an eye-opening admission, he added how Angela Merkel “shares my view”.
JUST IN England fans told to ‘stay home’ as Italy demands 5-day quarantine ahead of Ukraine match
More German ministers piled in on the criticism.
Speaking to German broadcaster Redaktionsnetzwerk Deutschland, State premier of German region Baden-Württemberg, Winfried Kretschmann also brutally slammed the Brit approach to covid restrictions.
He said: “The decision to let even more people into the stadiums now, as at Wembley, is brazen.
“The images of the European Football Championship so far gave the impression that the pandemic was over.
England fans urged to stay at home for quarter final by minister
“That is an absolutely wrong signal.”
Mr Kretschmann continued in his nasty attack, adding how at the games in Hungary and Denmark stadiums were “full to bursting”.
He said how there were “little signs” of social distancing and “few masks in sight”.
He slammed: “This recklessness leaves me stunned!”
Harry Kane sends Man Utd transfer message as England stun Germany [COMMENT]
Man Utd think they’re getting another Cristiano Ronaldo [TRANSFERS]
Chelsea chief Granovskaia ‘looking into Erling Haaland deal’ [REPORT]
But the comments prompted a furious backlash from angry England fans who were not happy with their choice of words.
One person tweeted: “Bet he’d of been ok with it if Germany had won.”
While another person pointed out: “Horst sounds like a bad loser. It was a test event, like a number of others, which, so far, have shown v few cases afterwards.”
And a third added: “Would that minister have said the same if the game was in Munich?”
Source: Read Full Article