Biggest shambles in wrestling as ex-WWE stars blame Jubilee for postponed show

A wrestling company set up by two ex-WWE stars has had to postpone its debut show in Nottingham – with the Queen's Platinum Jubilee blamed.

Former WWE stars Sunny Dhinsa and Gzim Selmani – better known as Akam and Rezar, the Authors of Pain – had announced last month that they were launching a new company called Wrestling Entertainment Series.

And they said that the debut show was set to take place at Nottingham's 10,000-seater Motorpoint Arena on June 4.

The show was stacked with fellow former WWE stars Adam Scherr (Braun Strowman), CJ Perry (Lana), Dean Mhutadi (Mojo Rawley) and Line Fanene (Nia Jax).

And it also had former MMA star Alistair Overeeem on the card, too.

The company was already in hot water over its high ticket prices, which had dropped three times since the show was announced – although it was thought that hardly any tickets had been sold.

Fans had been questioning what was going on with the show, as promotion of it had been almost non-existent, and last night (May 30), former WWE star and current Impact Wrestling roster member Chelsea Green tweeted that it had indeed been cancelled.

Fans then tweeted the Motorpoint Arena, but a spokesman said that they had no knowledge of a cancellation or postponement at the time.

But today, the organisers announced that the show was postponed after all – and the Queen's Jubilee was blamed.

In a statement sent exclusively to the Daily Star, WES co-promoter Gzim Selmani said: “We have all worked extremely hard on this event, however, things have not been going our way for us.

“Originally, the first event was set to take place in the UAE, but due to the sad and untimely passing of Sheikh Khalifa, we decided out of respect to change the event to Nottingham.

“It was a huge undertaking to move the event to a completely different continent on three weeks’ notice.

“Unfortunately, with the Queen’s Jubilee celebrations and the impact that is having on the events sector in the UK, and with just three weeks to prepare, it proved to be an impossible task.

“I want to apologise to the fans for any inconvenience caused.”

The show has been re-arranged for July 9, but so far three of the top stars have pulled out – Tenille Dashwood (former WWE star Emma), Deonna Purazzo, Chelsea Green.

And fans are now slamming the company on Twitter.

Michael Clothier wrote: “The biggest shambles in British Wrestling history since 5 Star Wrestling. “Talent screaming 'get your refund' isn’t a great sign.”

And another wrote: “Was their business plan dependent on us just forgetting about the queen?

“Or her dying beforehand so there's no party? Risky strategy.”

The Daily Star has reached out to the company to find out whether or not the rearranged show will actually go ahead or not.

To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

Source: Read Full Article