Domino’s Pizza says it is hiring an additional 5,000 staff following the surge in demand for takeaway meals during the coronavirus crisis.
The chain, which reported a 5% leap in sales over the first half of its financial year covering the full UK lockdown, said its ability to remain open in that time meant more people had an opportunity to join the business.
The new jobs, which include chef and delivery driver roles, are on top of 6,000 positions previously announced by Domino’s during the pandemic as its franchisees continue to open more outlets.
It builds on the recent trend of services with lockdown immunity, such as supermarkets and delivery firms, taking people on at a time when the wider economy is gearing up for a jobs crisis as the government’s furlough scheme winds down.
The Bank of England has forecast that three million could be out of work by the year’s end, given the damage that COVID-19 has inflicted on livelihoods.
Analysis by Sky News shows hospitality to be the third worst-hit part of the economy despite the lift from the government’s Eat Out to Help Out scheme.
Domino’s, as a takeaway venture, was not able to take part but had previously said sales growth was not damaged by the discount offering during August because demand was boosted by staycationers.
Its fortunes are in stark contrast to those of dine-in rivals Pizza Express and Pizza Hut Restaurants which are cutting outlets as a result of the lockdown damage and collectively placing more than 1,500 jobs at risk.
In its announcement on Tuesday, Domino’s said it would also create 1,000 apprenticeships under the government’s Kickstart scheme aimed at helping young people find careers.
Chief executive Dominic Paul said: “Together, these over 6,000 new roles will help Domino’s continue to safely
serve our local communities as we head towards the busy festive period.”
Source: Read Full Article